10 Facts about our Favorite Disney Dog (no, not Pluto!):
1. Goofy’s original name was Dippy Dawg. This then became “Dippy the Goof” and eventually just “Goofy.”
2. Pinto Colvig provided the original voice of Goofy. Although other names have voiced Goofy as well, Colvig was the man who came up with the laugh that made Goofy famous.
3. Goofy’s animators have described him as a corn fed, lovable hic. He is slow-minded, but not dumb and always smiling and willing to help, despite the fact that he usually ends up getting in the way and failing in his objectives.
4. The first version of Goofy was quite different than his current look - he was an old man with a white beard, no pants, and a fluffy tail.
5. Goofy is best known for his series of How-To cartoons, where he comically bumbles through a set of often ill-guided instructions on how to do a various task.
6. Goofy favorite sayings are ‘Gawsh!’ ‘ A-hyuck!’ ‘Huh!’ and ‘Well, whaddya know.”
7. The Goofy character that walks around the Disney resorts must look at guests through the costume’s mouth. However, to make it appear like his eyes are looking at you, the cast member must crane his neck all the way down. This makes it hard to see when walking, which is why the Goofy character is always making large, “laugh” movements - so he can make sure not to smack into a kid or the sidewalk!
8. Disney fans are often confused by why Goofy is given anthropomorphic features and Pluto is not, since they’re both dogs.
9. In the 1950s he appeared in cartoons as Mr. Geef, and he had a wife and son. In the 1990s, Goof Troop reintroduced Goofy and son. This time, his son took on the now familiar look of Max (who is in A Goofy Movie). His wife was nowhere to be seen.
10. Goofy made his first appearance in the 1932 classic, Mickey’s Revue.